What are ship lifts?
What are ship lifts used for?
One piece of material handling equipment that is used to move loads within a limited range, horizontally or vertically, are ship lifts. They are used to lift floating objects.
Ship lifts are so-called cargo lifts. The term refers to cranes that consist of a cargo base adapted to deploy goods at an angle by means of tendons, which can be chain or rope.
- All cargo lifts (and therefore ship lifts) are subject to technical supervision.
Operation and maintenance of goods lifts
Freight lifts should be used in accordance with the operating instructions and operated in accordance with their intended use:
- In order to ensure the safe use of the machine, the operator of this machine is obliged to ensure that the machine is serviced in accordance with what is stipulated and required in Annex No. 2 to the Decree of the Minister of Entrepreneurship and Technology of 21 May 2019, on the issue of the procedure and manner of checking the qualifications needed to operate and maintain technical equipment and the method of extending the validity of certificates. Technical inspections should be carried out within the timeframes specified in the directive (Annex No. 2 to the Regulation, Directive of the Minister of Entrepreneurship and Technology of 30 October 2018, concerning the technical conditions of technical supervision in the field of modernisation, operation and repair of materials handling equipment) unless otherwise specified by the manufacturer.
- The user of the machine is to set up and keep a service log, where the maintainer records all the activities performed.
- Each machine operated by the user should have an instruction manual available, based on the operating instructions.
Before freight lift is put into service, it must be registered and the person who will use it should obtain a decision authorising its operation, which is issued by the technical inspection authority. Before the competent authority issues such a decision, it performs the following tasks:
- He recognises the device and checks how it is labelled and its technical condition;
- Checks that all documents are in place and correct;
- Performs an acceptance test on the user;
- Checks that the equipment on the machine complies with the documentation that has been presented, on the site of operation of the machine.
Ship lifts are mostly used in America, Asia and sometimes Africa. They have not become as widespread in Europe (despite their advantages over other shipbuilding equipment). The advantages of ship hoists include:
- They take up less area than the docks;
- Short ship lift time;
- Platform without side walls;
- Ease of repair and maintenance.