TDT qualificationsTDT, or Transport Technical Supervision, covers onward transport equipment, so those used in trains and railway stations. A very similar term - UDT - applies to closer transport, so you may have a problem where to acquire such authorisations. In addition, they are also required for UNO-type equipment, i.e. tankers carrying various substances, for example. In order not to get lost in all this, read this article!

Terms of reference for the TDT

The Technical Supervision Act, in Article 44, specifies that the TDT must carry out technical supervision of technical equipment on railway sidings, on trains, as well as those on sea vessels, ports and pontoons. Supervision also extends to various types of tanks, including tankers, which are transported by rail or road. In addition to this, cable cars and ski lifts, fuel vapour recovery equipment and technical equipment at port handling bases must also be supervised by the TDT.

What powers?

TDT qualificationsThe range of equipment that the TDT supervises includes, for example, forklifts, cranes or overhead travelling cranes. This is when problems arise if we use any of them, for example, on a railway or on a ship, because the equipment there must be registered with the TDT. What if we have UDT qualifications? In 2019, an amendment to the Technical Supervision Act entered into force, which specifies that a certificate issued by one authority confirms the qualifications of persons also if the equipment by the place of installation or operation should be supervised by another authority. What does this mean for us? It is a big simplification because, thanks to this amendment, even when a person has a TDT authorisation, he or she can use a device subject to TDT supervision. So, for example: if we have an authorisation for a crane, which has been issued by the Office of Technical Inspection, we can use it when it has been registered with the Transport Technical Inspection.

UNO course - what is it?

There is also training on filling and emptying tanks and cisterns. It is also a course that falls under the TDT. Due to the type of devices, it is also called the UNO course. The acquisition of qualifications is a particularly important matter, especially when we transport hazardous materials. These include, among others: flammable (liquid and gaseous) and pyrophoric, poisonous, oxidizing and corrosive materials, as well as materials not considered hazardous, but filled under pressure, e.g. flour, oils, asphalt, cement, fertilizers. It is worth remembering that these are different classes of materials. The good news is that certificates can be obtained for several of them at the same time. The same is true for the types of tanks as they also differ. Thanks to the UNO course, the trained person has the necessary knowledge to use such devices.

Who is the training for?

To a large extent TDT training are designed for people who are at least eighteen years old. However, this is not the only requirement, as at least a vocational qualification is necessary. If you do not have this, but have a skilled worker's certificate, you can also take the course. The most important prerequisite is the correct completion of the application form for the TDT examination. This is necessary because without this, it is not possible to take the training itself.

Transport Technical Supervision should be familiar to everyone by now after this article. We hope that any doubts you may have about obtaining a qualification have been dispelled. It is important to remember that there are penalties for failing to obtain the certificate of qualification necessary to use the equipment in the event of an inspection. There is no need to take any chances, just take the course if you want to use the equipment.