Sling inspections and ongoing sling checks - what is worth knowing?
Current controls and periodic inspections of slings
A sling is an accessory on a crane, hoist or crane which is designed to suspend, sling or support a load. Most often, the sling is not part of the crane, but is placed on the hook of the block.
We distinguish between different types of slings, including:
- of wire rope
- of textile and synthetic belts
- of textile and synthetic ropes
- special purpose slings - grabbing and gripping
In order to use crane equipment with slings safely, regular inspections of slings. Any type of damage such as cuts, tears, corrosion, narrowing or elongation of sling components determines its withdrawal from use. How often should checks on suspensions and who can perform them?
The following sling checks shall be carried out:
- initial inspection before first use of new equipment - aims to determine whether he or she is prepared to work
- check before each use - to check the technical condition of the equipment before and during operation
- periodic specific inspections - should be carried out at least once a year and include a detailed visual inspection of the sling with appropriate measurements taken, as well as load tests
Sling checks shall be carried out in accordance with standards: PN-EN 1492-1+A1:2008, PN-EN 13414-1+A2:2009, PN-91/M-84701.
Who can carry out sling inspections and reviews?
To carry out sling controls it is necessary to have the relevant authorisations and the technical knowledge and skills to do so. The regulations indicate that the activity should be carried out by a "competent person", who may be designated by the employer.
Mostly for inspections of slings A hooksman with the appropriate entitlements - can be obtained during courses organised by ERGON Personnel Training Center.
Carried out checks on suspensions require appropriate documentation - a document is then issued confirming that the equipment is undamaged. If a sling is damaged, it is either replaced with a new one or a regeneration of slingsso that it can work properly again.