Types of forklift trucks
Division of forklift trucks
When it comes to the types of forklift truck, there are many divisions against which we divide these machines. There is a criterion including the drive, the lifting height of the load, its location, but also the style of control.
Based on the type of drive, we distinguish between the trolley division:
- Electric - having a rechargeable battery. Such powered machines are quiet and suitable for use in confined spaces, e.g. a grocery shop or warehouse. They have smooth tyres and do not dirty surfaces, plus they are environmentally friendly, producing no harmful exhaust fumes. They are compact and manoeuvrable, which makes them ideal for narrow aisles and corridors. They are very easy to operate, so new employees operating an electric wheelchair should be able to master the challenge without any problems. In addition, a powered machine is definitely a good investment for a hall or shopping centre;
- Combustion - are powered by combustion gas, are described as very unhealthy for the environment and are therefore mainly used outdoors. In enclosed spaces, it is necessary to apply a filter. Instead, they are more efficient than electric trolleys and can be used in continuous operation. Often, the above trolleys are equipped with thick tyres that allow them to work in extreme weather conditions or on uneven surfaces. They are therefore suitable for use on construction sites, but also, for example, when loading and unloading goods onto trucks;
- Manual - As the name suggests, they are hand-propelled. These include so-called 'plecias', which are pushed by a person. They have a hydraulic system built into the drawbar of the trolley, which allows them to lift the load to a low height. Despite these issues, hand-powered trolleys have many uses. They are compact and controllable, so they work well in the narrow aisles of shops, warehouses or airports. A unique feature of these machines is that the operator does not need a licence to drive them. This definitely makes things a lot easier, if only because the course and exam are an additional expense.
The above division is pillar-based. From this criterion derive the further divisions previously mentioned, viz. by design:
- Leading - trolleys known as 'forklifts', most commonly used for unloading and unloading goods from cars, but are also used in warehouses. The load is at the front of the trolley. It tends to be used in wider aisles, such as in shops;
- Side - appliances of this design They are very often used in rooms with unusual dimensions and narrow corridors. The load is on the side of the trolley or on either side of it. It is more difficult to steer than a front trolley.
- Guided - trolleys Colloquially known as a 'stacker' or 'kangaroo'. Used in production or big-box stores.
Questions and answers
What does it take to operate an electric or motorised forklift?
To operate an electric or motorised forklift, you must pass the UDT operator's exam.
How much does a forklift cost?
The prices of forklifts vary depending on the manufacturer and the parameters of the forklift and range from PLN 65,000 to as much as PLN 150,000.
How do you look after your forklift properly?
Above all, it is necessary to attend the mandatory inspections, but also to practise them on a daily basis, before starting work. Prevention must not be neglected if only because of the dangers that a damaged trolley can cause.