What is a scissor lift?
Scissor lift - what to look out for?
The scissor lift is used for work at height. Thanks to its design, it ensures high safety of use without the need for scaffolding. This machine is used for lifting both people and building materials or heavy objects. The improvements associated with the use of lifts are most frequently used in car services, loading work and in the field of logistics - all types of transport.
Construction and operation of a scissor lift
The very name of the scissor lift indicates that it consists of a characteristic arrangement of the lifting system - shaped like a scissor. The double scissor system is made up of intersecting profiles which fold and unfold depending on the height, adjusting the required working area. Mobility in scissor lifts is ensured by wheels attached to the base, which guarantee the freedom of movement of the machine. The machine is controlled by means of a remote control and a control panel on top of the working platform. The platform only moves vertically. The platform is protected by a guardrail - especially important when working at height.
Types of scissor lifts
In order to fully exploit the potential of a scissor lift, it is necessary to choose the right type of machine in relation to the planned work. The usefulness of lifts is determined by the type of drive - among these we distinguish:
- electric scissor lift - is ideal for indoor work due to its compactness, quiet operation and lack of exhaust emissions;
- diesel scissor lift - this machine is designed for extreme outdoor conditions. Compared to electric lifts, it has more power and lifting capacity. The use of this type of lift inside a building is not recommended due to noise and exhaust emissions.
Scissor lift applications
According to the division into the aforementioned power types, the scissor lifts in question can be classified for specific jobs.
Electrically-powered lifts can be successively used for indoor work. They are most often used in large premises such as production and storage halls, hangars or supermarkets. Lifts with smaller booms will prove useful in garages when servicing and repairing car chassis. In addition, it is used for finishing work in the construction industry.
The electrically-powered lift is recommended for work on the outside of a building or during its erection. The machine is suitable for installing air conditioning, façade installation and wall painting. It is also popular for garden work such as pruning tree branches.
What to look for when choosing a scissor lift?
- Maximum load - First and foremost, you need to consider what load the lift will be lifting. Each lift has its own maximum load, which should not be exceeded.
- Lifting height - It is important to determine how high a lift will be needed. Lift heights also vary between models and manufacturers.
- Platform size - the size of the platform should be adapted to the type of work to be carried out. If the lift is to be used in narrow spaces, it is advisable to choose a model with a smaller platform.
- Power supply - Scissor lifts can operate on different power sources, such as electricity, petrol or hybrid. Depending on your needs, it makes sense to choose a model with the right power supply.
Questions and answers
How to use the scissor lift?
The lift is controlled by a remote control and a control panel on the work platform.
Where to use scissor lifts?
Depending on the means of propulsion, they can be used both indoors and outdoors.
Will a scissor lift replace scaffolding?
Yes, scissor lifts are a quicker to install and safer alternative to scaffolding.